Honeybees give their all in defense of the hive. Their barbed stingers cannot be extracted. When a stinging bee pulls away, it leaves behind not just the stinger, but also parts of its digestive system, muscles and nerves.The resulting massive abdominal rupture is fatal. Photo courtesy of Waugsberg.
Scientists hope to add human immunodeficiency virus or HIV to that list.
Researchers at Washington University in St. Louis are developing a prophylactic vaginal gel containing nanoparticles coated with a toxin found in bee venom. The peptide toxin, called melittin, pokes holes in the protective envelope surrounding HIV, killing the virus.
“Our hope is that in places where HIV is running rampant, people could use this gel as a preventive measure to stop the initial infection,” said study author Joshua L. Hood.
The melittin does not harm normal cells because researchers added protective bumpers to the nanoparticles’ surfaces. When the nanoparticles come into contact with much larger normal cells, they simply bounce off. HIV, on the other hand, is much smaller than the nanoparticles and slides easily between the bumpers to make contact with the deadly bee toxin.
Hood said one advantage of this approach is that the nanoparticles’ attack involves an essential part of the virus’ structure. “We are attacking an inherent physical property of HIV,” he said. “Theoretically, there isn’t any way for the virus to adapt to that. The virus has to have a protective coat, a double-layered membrane that covers the virus.”
By contrast, most current anti-HIV drugs focus upon inhibiting viral replication. Some HIV strains have evolved alternative reproductive strategies.
Hood thinks the nanoparticle approach could be adapted to treating current HIV infections and tweaked to target other viruses with similar protective envelopes, such as hepatitis B and C.
140 Notes/ Hide
- mindlikeanengine reblogged this from thisismyharddrive
- graceless-and-broken likes this
- hiitsemilie reblogged this from deastrumquodvicis
- hiitsemilie likes this
- sh-theonlyconsultingdetective reblogged this from hatrediswhatiknow
- deastrumquodvicis reblogged this from thisismyharddrive
- vardoeger reblogged this from ucsdhealthsciences and added:
- keep-on-chasing-your-dreams reblogged this from all-of-you-suck
- all-of-you-suck reblogged this from ucsdhealthsciences
- oxytocinandnursing likes this
- carol-ing likes this
- clumsyjuggernaut likes this
- shafp reblogged this from ucsdhealthsciences
- callipygianology reblogged this from photonasty
- callipygianology likes this
- dancingonflames reblogged this from ucsdhealthsciences
- shannonjeva likes this
- shannonjeva reblogged this from ucsdhealthsciences
- blue-lights-and-tea likes this
- toasterness reblogged this from khafji
- urielrockrocker reblogged this from ucsdhealthsciences
- ozaralusru likes this
- burdentheories reblogged this from ucsdhealthsciences
- noodles516 likes this
- ohsnapitsshirleyaraiza reblogged this from ucsdhealthsciences
- ohsnapitsshirleyaraiza likes this
- texasdreamer01 reblogged this from ucsdhealthsciences
- texasdreamer01 likes this
- mysleak likes this
- alrightcaptain likes this
- undermyruine likes this
- themovedmind likes this
- jesscalinpark reblogged this from ucsdhealthsciences
- pkl787 reblogged this from lalalovetuna
- boywonderrushh reblogged this from ucsdhealthsciences
- latoya21 likes this
- ed-grrr likes this
- deliriousdandies likes this
- iwilllaughallmylife likes this
- madmadcat likes this
- confusedonlife reblogged this from andrallardna
- mjcardenas reblogged this from ucsdhealthsciences and added:
- andrallardna reblogged this from ucsdhealthsciences
- lalalovetuna reblogged this from merrilyjaded
- heinerbell reblogged this from ucsdhealthsciences and added:
- hydrosassic-acid reblogged this from fullsalvo
- cattyfantastic likes this
- mustkeeprefrigerated likes this
- naoii reblogged this from ucsdhealthsciences