Gout with tophus formations in the index and little fingers. Image courtesy of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand.
Gout on a limb
Gout was once called “the disease of kings” or “the rich man’s disease” because it was most commonly associated with excessive consumption of food and alcohol, something that only aristocrats and higher levels of society could afford to indulge.
The English King Henry VIII, for example, famously suffered from gout, as did Isaac Newton and Benjamin Franklin.
Gout is a kind of acute arthritis that occurs when high levels of uric acid in the blood lead to inflammatory crystalline deposits in joints, which become red, tender, hot, swollen and often quite painful and debilitating.
(The image above is a visually extreme example: Monosodium urate crystals have accumulated from repeated attacks of gout in finger joints. Called tophus formations, these accumulations can impair joint function and may break through the skin.)
In recent years, gout has made a comeback of sorts, thanks in part to a Western diet that’s overly rich and abundant. Rates of gout approximately doubled between 1990 and 2010. An estimated 1 to 2 percent of Americans will, at some point in their lives, deal with gout.
Genetics also plays a significant role. A study earlier this year identified 18 new genetic variations that increase uric acid levels in the blood.
While that kind of research presses on, there are plenty of things people can do to avoid gout. Easiest are dietary controls: Gout has a strong association with excessive consumption of alcohol, fructose-sweetened drinks, meat and seafood. Other triggers are physical trauma and surgery.
Treatment of gout typically involves temporary measures to ease symptoms of an acute attack and lifestyle changes and medications for long-term therapy. These include non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and compounds like colchicine, pegloticase and allopurinol.
289 Notes/ Hide
- danielahquant reblogged this from biopsia
- shinytoygunzz reblogged this from spidermancum
- rodeojack reblogged this from druqslut
- a--poria reblogged this from schrimpz
- fontanivep reblogged this from schrimpz and added:
- psicopatiaaa reblogged this from schrimpz
- nymphmold likes this
- schrimpz reblogged this from al11ens
- schrimpz likes this
- tricksandtreats reblogged this from 0808880888088880
- nirvanabanana likes this
- thegreatcounselor reblogged this from peachsleep
- peachsleep reblogged this from fistmepaulrudd
- car-michael reblogged this from gvro
- mermaidscum reblogged this from bubble-scum
- bubble-scum reblogged this from beswax
- kid-syndrome reblogged this from spacegoth666
- 0925home likes this
- spacegoth666 reblogged this from bolloxs
- bolloxs reblogged this from realgirleatmeat
- realgirleatmeat reblogged this from prettynymph
- spacemeout reblogged this from voldemortdisco
- eatbacon reblogged this from kingbukkake
- goldilox likes this
- niggaturtles2 likes this
- niggaturtles2 reblogged this from jessica-the-homicidal-maniac
- joorgeriveraa reblogged this from xxelectricx
- joorgeriveraa likes this
- forlapandilla reblogged this from chzos
- zenponds likes this
- chzos reblogged this from rassclaat
- highimjackie reblogged this from neontits
- luisa-bravo likes this
- xxelectricx reblogged this from h8-you
- wishing-working likes this
- deathsunshin-e reblogged this from biopsia
- aistingud likes this
- biopsia reblogged this from druqslut
- lorylo reblogged this from bootygrl
- h000k likes this
- sadbbygirl97 likes this
- reallyyyyyyyy reblogged this from bootygrl
- boybecca likes this
- collectiveanxiety reblogged this from rassclaat
- al1enbby reblogged this from shdwply420
- shdwply420 reblogged this from rassclaat
- helloiamlucie likes this
- ickyyy likes this
- rassclaat reblogged this from bootygrl
- bootygrl reblogged this from gvro